Admissions

Affording Westminster

Affording Westminster

A Westminster education is a significant financial investment, but one that reaps immeasurable lifetime benefits. Westminster is committed to making it financially possible for each student who is admitted to live, study and succeed at one of the nation’s leading boarding schools. Thanks to the generosity of alumni, parents and friends, Westminster is able to provide financial aid to over one-third of enrolled students.    
 
We encourage any family who feels they may need financial assistance to apply for financial aid. Intended as a supplement to family resources, financial aid awards are made not only to families whose ability to pay school costs is extremely limited, but also to those who may need only a minor subsidy to meet tuition requirements.

Westminster’s financial aid program is need-based and does not include merit, athletic or academic scholarships.

List of 6 items.

  • Tuition & Fees

    Tuition & Fees
    Boarding
    Day
    Tuition 2020-2021
    $64,320
    $48,620
    Fees (Health Center, Technology, Activity)
    $1,010
    $485
    Total*
    $65,330
    $49,105



     
    *For planning purposes, please note that additional incidental costs associated with academic and afternoon programs (including books, testing fees, and supplies) generally range from $800 — $1,200 per year.  Other optional costs may include tuition insurance, laundry service, campus store charges, music lessons and academic tutoring. International students are also required to purchase health insurance in the amount of $1,880.

  • How to Apply for Financial Aid

    Westminster uses School and Student Services (SSS) to process our financial aid applications. SSS is a service of the National Association of Independent Schools. Based on the financial information families provide on the Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS), SSS will use a standard calculation to determine an estimated amount that families can contribute toward educational expenses. Westminster's Financial Aid team uses this estimation, in concert with supporting tax documentation, as a starting point for the determination of a fair and objective financial aid award.
     
    Steps to Apply
    • Indicate that you will be applying for Financial Aid on your application for admission
    • Complete the Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) * online at www.sssbynais.org by January 15
    • Upload required documents to SSS:
    -2018 W2s/1099s if applicable
    -2018 federal tax returns with associated schedules
    -2017 W2/1099 if applicable
    -2017 federal tax returns with associated schedules
    -If paying college tuition Westminster requires form 1098-T
     
    Notes
      • Parents Divorced / Separated / Never Married:  Please fill out a PFS for each parent and include all required documents.
      • International Students: In addition to the online PFS, please complete the International Student Aid Profile and submit it via the SSS Family Portal, along with documentation to verify income.
      • Special Circumstances: If you have special circumstances that you would like the Financial Aid Committee to consider, please add these at the end of your PFS. The PFS includes a section to provide “Other Information”.
     
    Notification
      • Applicants are notified of both admission and financial aid decisions on March 10.
  • Financial Aid Statistics

    Financial Assistance Budget
    $5,860,000

    Average award
    $42,486

    Range of awards
    $6,000 - Full Tuition

    Recipients
    136 Students
    34% of student body
  • Important Dates*

    October 24 School and Student Services portal opens.
    January 15 – Parent Financial Statement (PFS) due with 2017 and 2018 completed tax returns.
    March 10 – Admissions and Financial Aid Awards issued.
    April 10 Candidate reply deadline.
    April 15 – Current year completed tax return and associated schedules due.

    * For Enrollment Year 2020-21
  • Davis International Scholars

    For more information about the Davis Scholars program, please click here.
  • Payment Options

    Westminster School offers two payment options. Both options require that 10% of the tuition amount is due with the submission of the Enrollment Contract and is nonrefundable. Families have the options below to pay the remaining 90% of tuition and fees due.

    Option 1 - Westminster School Direct Payment Plan
     Due Date
     Payment
    Boarding
    Day
    04/01/20
    Returning Students
    Payment #1 - 10% of tuition (nonrefundable) enrollment deposit
    $6,432
    $4,862
    04/10/20
    New Students
    Payment #1 - 10% of tuition (nonrefundable) enrollment deposit
    $6,432
    $4,862
    06/15/20
    Payment #2 - 45% of tuition
    $28,944
    $21,879
    11/1/20
    Payment #3 - 45% of tuition

    $28,944
    $21,879
    10/01/20
    Fees (Health Center, Technology, Activity)
    $1,010
    $485
    *Incidental charges are due as incurred*

    All payments are made directly to Westminster School. The enrollment deposit may be paid via the direct debit option available with the submission of the enrollment contract, check or wire transfer. All other payments for tuition, fees and incidental charges must be made via check or wire transfer.

    Payments made by check should be mailed to:

    Business Office
    Westminster School
    995 Hopmeadow Street
    Simsbury, CT 06070

    Wire instructions are available in your Parent Portal or please contact Denise Woodruff at dwoodruff@westminster-school.org for instructions.

    Option 2 - SMART Tuition Payment Plan
    Westminster School has partnered with Smart Tuition for the 2020-2021 school year. Smart Tuition is not affiliated with Westminster School. The company offers a 9 month payment plan. There is no interest charge; however, a $50 application fee is required.

    The 10% nonrefundable enrollment deposit is paid directly to Westminster School via the direct debit option available with the submission of the enrollment contract, check or wire transfer. The remaining 90% of tuition and fees due are divided into nine equal installments, beginning June 15th and ending February 15th. The monthly payments are made directly to Smart Tuition and statements are received directly from Smart Tuition. Incidental charges are due as incurred. 

    Choosing this option requires you to enroll with Smart Tuition and pay the enrollment deposit directly to Westminster School.

    Tuition Insurance
    You may opt to purchase the tuition insurance offered by the School. The premium rate is 1.9% of the annual tuition (excluding fees). If you opt NOT to participate in this plan, no refund or cancellation of tuition or fees will be granted for any reason. You will be billed for this premium in July.
     
    Please read the following pamphlet for details and requirements of the Tuition Insurance/Refund Plan.

    Health Insurance
    Westminster School requires all students be insured under a United States-based health plan that covers injury and illness. International students need to enroll in the United HealthCare Health Plan offered through Westminster School. The cost of the 10-month plan is $1,880.
Westminster School reaffirms its long-standing nondiscriminatory policy and admits students of any race, religion, sexual orientation or national origin to all rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at Westminster. Westminster does not discriminate in its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship programs, or athletic and other school-administered programs.
Kelly Babbidge, Director of Financial Aid, and Tim Randall, Associate Director of Financial Aid, guide families through the financial aid application process. They are happy to answer general questions or discuss specifics of your family’s situation at any point in the process.

List of 2 members.

Contact Us

995 Hopmeadow Street
Simsbury, Connecticut 06070

P. (860) 408-3000
F. (860) 408 3001
Notice of Nondiscriminatory Policy as to Students
Westminster admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the School; and Westminster does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered program.
© Copyright 2019 Westminster School  |  Privacy Policy