Anticipated hiring: Immediate
Westminster School, one of the leading independent boarding schools in the country, is a diverse, close-knit community of 95 faculty, 70 staff, and 412 male and female students (seventy-five percent boarding, twenty-five percent day students) set on a 200-acre campus in Simsbury, Connecticut. Since its founding in 1888, Westminster School has been committed to the core values of community, character, balance, and involvement. Our motto describes our community – “virtute et numine” – by Grit & Grace.
Westminster School has an exciting part-time opportunity for a Security Guard on its Simsbury, CT campus. The role of the Security Guard is to provide safety and security services to Westminster School and to respond to emergencies on campus. In addition, this individual promotes good community relations by working and communicating effectively with the Security Director, the Plant Manager, all community members, and visitors to our campus. This is a 3rd shift weekend position with hours of 10:30pm-6:30am Saturdays and Sundays.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform foot and vehicle patrols of campus and related properties, including building checks.
- Perform parking lot duties and monitoring as required.
- Monitor and report maintenance problems to appropriate personnel.
- Maintain a safe environment for students and employees.
- Manage the arrival of deliveries on campus and occasionally receive deliveries.
- During lock downs, secure school as required.
- Respond to calls for emergency and non-emergency assistance on campus.
- Perform medical and emergency first aid as required.
- Monitor fire and burglar alarms and respond to any activated alarms.
- Perform additional assignments as directed by the Security Director, Plant Manager, and other school administrators.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 3-5 years of related work experience required.
- Post-secondary education or training in security, customer service, or a related field. Past law enforcement experience a plus.
- Valid CT Guard Card required.
- Ability to respond to high-stress situations in a calm and efficient manner.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills, including sensitivity to and experience working with people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities.
- Must be positive and get along with visitors, vendors, students, and colleagues.
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to prepare reports.
- Basic computer skills, familiarity with Microsoft Office suite and other industry-driven software.
- Current driver’s license with clean driving record required.
- Must be First Aid/AED/CPR certified.
- Ability to walk, run, climb multiple staircases, bend, stoop, and carry a minimum of 40 pounds, and to perform aforementioned foot patrols and crosswalk duties in all types of weather conditions.
- Flexibility to work varying hours and shifts.
This position is a part-time opening offering a competitive salary; this role is not benefits-eligible. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to the Director of Human Resources, Pamela Daly, at email@example.com
Westminster School expects all current and new employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination. Employees may request a medical or religious exemption from vaccination.
Westminster School is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from candidates of color. Westminster School reaffirms its long-standing nondiscriminatory policy and employs individuals of any race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available at Westminster. Westminster does not discriminate in its hiring, educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship programs, or athletic and other school-administered programs.