Alumni, Parents and Friends,
Westminster School conducted a yearlong celebration of its 125th anniversary from September 2012 through September 2013 with the theme “Leading with Grit & Grace,” based on the school’s motto of Grit & Grace, which has defined and distinguished the school and its graduates since its founding in 1888.
Anniversaries offer special opportunities to mark milestones and commemorate achievements. Throughout the 125th anniversary celebration, Westminster paid tribute to the school’s illustrious history, celebrated its national leadership among independent schools, and presented programs in its core areas of academics, athletics, arts and service.
Activities throughout the year included guest speakers in academics, athletics, the arts and politics, author readings, performing arts presentations, an alumni art show, an alumni athletics panel, and numerous community service initiatives. An expanded schedule of alumni and parent receptions also took place in various cities.
In 125 years, Westminster School has flourished, thanks to the ongoing zeal of our students, faculty and staff as well as the faithful support of our alumni, parents and friends. Today, we are a community that extends from Williams Hill, across this country and around the world.
The anniversary celebration drew to an extraordinary conclusion September 28 of this year with the dedication of two new student and faculty residences and a closing celebration featuring a keynote address by New York Times columnist and best-selling author David Brooks.
We had much to celebrate during this anniversary year as we reflected on Westminster’s long history and looked forward to the new opportunities ahead.
William V.N. Philip P’06, ’09 Headmaster
For more information, please contact:
Alan F. Brooks ’55, P’89,’91,’96
125th Anniversary Director
Leading with Grit & Grace Since 1888
Westminster School was founded in 1888 by William Lee Cushing as a school for boys in Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. It relocated to Simsbury in 1900 to a more expansive 200-acre location on Williams Hill that commanded vistas of the Farmington River. The school opened in the new location on Oct. 17, 1900 with 34 boys and six teachers. The original building still stands today. As the school’s programs and enrollment grew over the decades, it added a wide range of facilities and became coeducational in 1971.
Today, Westminster is a diverse community of 390 students, two-thirds boarding and one-third day, in grades 9-12 and postgraduate. The students represent numerous Connecticut towns and cities, 26 states and 20 countries. The school offers state-of-the-art academic, athletic and performing arts facilities, a challenging curriculum with 23 AP offerings, a three-season athletic program with 55 teams, an impressive arts program, and a wide spectrum of co-curricular activities. The school annually awards more than $4.5 million in need-based financial aid.
David H. Hovey Jr. ’78, P’09,’11,’14
Leigh A. Hovey P’09,’11,’14
Sara L. Whiteley, ’91
Alan F. Brooks
’55, P’89,’91,’96125th Anniversary Director
Tom Earl P’93,’98,’03,’06
Ken Mason P’11,’12,’16
T. Treadway Mink Jr. ’77, P’11
J. Pierce O’Neil ’76, P’10,’12
William V.N. Philip P’06,’09
Maggie Pinney P’01,’11
Nancy Spencer P’13,’15
Scott Stevens P’06,’09,’12
125th Anniversary Downloads